
Last night it “freezing rained” in Portland. People have told me the stories of days when the city is blanketed with a rain that half freezes mid air, dropping ice crystals – not hail, and half freezes on contact. It has been literally freezing here the last few days. The air is in the low 30s (Portland lives on two rivers with cold mountain and fresh ocean air that rips through), however when you factor the wind chill, I think it feels like the low 20s, if not less.
So, yesterday at 6:00 p.m. Starbucks closed early and we began our journeys home. My co-worker offered me a ride since it was on her way, and our tires are balding. It’s wild driving in a city with this weather because you can’t stop at the lights or on hills, you’ve got to keep moving. We only slid three times on the way to my house, which seemed decent considering there were deserted cars mid-lane that did not make it as far. I can handle snow driving, it’s what I grew up with. But, city ICE driving is a whole different experience.
The best part of yesterday, was coming home to hot cocoa and holiday treats to watch the 30 minute video John took of our cat. It’s cold but fun here in Portland as we are reminded daily, “Kitty, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in California anymore.” But thanks to family, we have our cozy electric blanket and our fleece slippers to keep us warm.
No comments:
Post a Comment